Friday 4 December 2009

Liam Clancy RIP

I was searching for the best version I could find of the anti war song 'And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda'. And I found it this morning. Yesterday the man that sang it best died.

This is the man of whom Bob Dylan said:

“I never heard a singer as good as him ever. He was just the best ballad singer I ever heard in my life, still is probably.”

So, my search reached an end. This is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Farewell, I hardly knew you.

1 comment:

KB Player said...

I liked his version of the song, which is one of my favourites, along with the other Eric Bogle anti-war number, Green Fields of France. I met Eric Bogle who told me Tony Blair, it seems, thought that Green Fields of France had been written around 1918 or so, which Eric Bogle, who's about 60 odd, thought very amusing.